FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH - Hamburg, Arkansas
In 1859, ten years after Hamburg was established as the County Seat of the newly created Ashley County, and just two years prior to the start of the American Civil War, Hamburg First Baptist Church was organized with eleven charter members. The first building was constructed of logs and located on the corner of what is now Parker and Cherry Street. The log church was forty feet by fifty feet with two doors and two windows. The seats were split logs with no backs. The second building was built at this same location and was made from hand-dressed lumber. The Sunday School was taught in various areas of the one big room. First Baptist Church at the present location was built in 1875 and 1876. Records show that in 1910, the pastor was paid $75 per month and special offerings were collected for missions and orphanages.
In May of 1927, the construction of a brick church building was finished with the front facing Parker Street. This building was located on the site of the current fellowship building. Sunday School and Training Union met on the ground floor and the worship services were held upstairs. The education annex was dedicated on April 4, 1943. Martinville Baptist Mission was started in 1950 and organized as a church in 1951. Gardner Baptist Church was begun as a mission in the early 1960's. The present auditorium was constructed in the early 1950's and dedicated on September 16, 1956. The nursery, primary departments and offices were completed in 1964. The auditorium was remodeled in 1994 and the ROC (Recreation Outreach Center) was completed in 2007.
Copyright 2016 FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH